EpiTT VCSEL and EpiCurve® TT VCSEL
Combined power of spectral sensing and industry proven EpiTT EpiCurve® performance
VCSELs grown on GaAs are currently emerging as a leading technology in rapidly expanding markets like Gesture Recognition, 3D imaging, datacomm and others. Utilizing the modular concept of our new Gen3 in-situ platform, LayTec has customized and expanded the related in-situ metrology performance for VCSEL epitaxy. Our new family of in-situ tools for VCSEL applications combines spectral reflectance measurements with the robust and industry proven EpiTT and EpiCurve® TT performance.
An upgrade from standard EpiTT to EpiTT VCSEL is simple and straight-forward, because the additional spectral sensing module (R-VCSEL) shares the optical head and the two optical fibers with EpiTT. Therefore, a single viewport at the MOCVD reactor is sufficient for EpiTT VCSEL or EpiCurve® TT VCSEL. The EpiCurveTT VCSEL is a comprehensive 4-in-1 in-situ metrology tool measuring all 4 key epi parameters on all wafers in the reactor: wafer temperature, growth rates, wafer bow and the VCSEL’s spectral reflectance. Fig. 1 shows this 4-in-1 metrology tool mounted on an Aixtron G3 Planetary reactor top. This combination allows integrating the full EpiCurve® TT performance with the spectral monitoring of DBR (distributed Bragg reflector) stop-bands and cavity dip position.
EpiTT VCSEL and EpiCurve® TT VCSEL are powered by new software modules that enable both single-pocket and multi-pocket operation! (See "EpiNet software performance for VCSEL" below.)
High performance of EpiTT in industrial VCSEL applications
For industrial VCSEL processes, EpiTT has a Return-on-Investment (RoI) of only a few months. The standard EpiTT offers all features necessary for GaAs/InP based epitaxy:
- Wafer temperature with ±1K accuracy
- High accuracy in-situ growth rate (film thick-ness) measurement with XRD accuracy by 405/633/950 nm low-noise 3-wavelength reflectance
- 24/7 performance with automated data analysis and integrated interfaces to the MES/SPC systems of our customers
- Modular integration into EpiCurve®TT metrology for keeping lattice match of ternary and quaternary layers within narrow specification limits
The concept of additional spectral sensing
The additional spectral reflectance module delivers real-time information about the evolving DBR (distributed Bragg reflector) and cavity structures already during epitaxy in a customer chosen spectral range. Fig. 2 shows that the spectral reflectance during the growth of a VCSEL is shifted at growth temperature (Tg=650°C) to a longer wavelength as compared to the room temperature signatures.
Fig. 2: Simulated in-situ data of 980 nm InGaAs/GaAs VCSEL growth (x=12%/90%DBRs) based on A.Mutig, PhD thesis (Technical University of Berlin).
For seamless integration of spectral sensing into EpiTT, it is of importance to adjust the wafer temperature measurement appropriately. The high reflectance of the growing VCSEL structure in the near infra-red range reduces the emissivity of the wafer. Hence, based on the specific requirements of our VCSEL customers, the EpiTT/VCSEL optical set-up can be customized for minimizing trade-offs between wafer temperature measurement and spectral sensing.
LayTec’s EpiNet software performance for EpiTT/VCSEL
EpiNet is LayTec’s control and analysis software for EpiTT, EpiCurve®TT and Pyro 400 products. EpiNet converts in-situ data into profitable information. For VCSEL applications, EpiNet offers:
- Implementation into both single-pocket and multi-pocket operation
- Automated display and storage of these spectra in an integrated SQL database
- Automated spectral analysis regarding DBR (distributed Bragg reflector) signatures position, DBR shape and amplitude as well of VCSEL cavity resonance position
- Automated feed-forward of these additional data lines to the EpiTT for interfacing the custoemer's MES/SPC systems
- Highly time-resolved triple-wavelength reflectance traces of EpiTT in multi-pocket configurations enable real-time evaluation of the spectra taken at the respective satellite.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +49-30-89 00 55-0.